Vote: Include Advanced Draftee Signing Bonus Going Forward

Should we include Advanced Draftee Signing Bonus Negotiations to our League Dynamic?

Yes
43%
No (current setup)
57%

Total votes: 14

SpartansGM
Site Admin

Vote: Include Advanced Draftee Signing Bonus Going Forward

Post by SpartansGM » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:40 am

This will need 75% to pass as it will impact team financials and I want everyone on board.

It was my original vision to include draftee bonus signing negotiations, but when we started and I noticed how short the roster depth was, I thought it was best to forgo negotiations and place everyone on the roster automatically. Now we have a much more stable environment in terms of depth, so I'm not worried if a GM doesn't sign all of his draft picks anymore.

"Going forward" means beginning with the 2005 draft, not the 2004 draft.
Geoff M.
UBA Commissioner
San Francisco Spartans GM

LandsharksGM

Re: Vote: Include Advanced Draftee Signing Bonus Going Forward

Post by LandsharksGM » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:08 pm

I'm in favor of this but just have a concern about the finances. Would there be an overall bump up in teams' budgets to accommodate the increased expenses related to the draft? The concern would be that the teams with the top picks are probably the ones in the worst financial shape and may not be able to afford any over-slot players.

yellowknife_gm

Post by yellowknife_gm » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:21 pm

I just don't see that it adds much to the experience to allow players to not sign. If you draft a player, he should just go into the system. 90% of them sign anyway so it basically just applies to the "impossible" guys and then you get awarded a pick the next year if that person was taken in a high round. All that it really adds is an extra task to go in, make an offer, wait a couple weeks for them to accept and then that's it.

SpartansGM
Site Admin

Post by SpartansGM » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:30 pm

Some folks like the strategy of budgeting for it and letting picks slide through on purpose etc.

To the financial concern - I'm importing manual inflation every year, this will start to be factored into the calculations so you won't be out less money.
Geoff M.
UBA Commissioner
San Francisco Spartans GM

nroyce_Philly

Post by nroyce_Philly » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:25 am

I voted yes because i enjoy the added level of having to sign picks, or not signing them if you dont have the money one year you can set yourself up with extra picks the next season.